At this time meat was still on ration as a result of the Second World War. This was a critical period within the British food industry; during the war the 55 million tonnes of food imported from other countries per year drastically decreased. Britain’s own food industry was more important than ever, and it was at this pivotal moment in history that Lockwoods began its success story.
Around 1957 we moved to larger premises in Boaler Street, Liverpool and soon we had our own salesmen delivering in Liverpool and the surrounding areas. The brand name ‘Olympia’ came from the Olympic Cinema that once stood in Boaler street.
Once again production grew and we moved to an ex Walls ice cream depot in Melrose Road, Kirkdale. The trade in sausages was now at a tremendous height.
In September 1964 the company moved into purpose built new premises in Bridle Way, Bootle and has remained there to this day. The present factory has been continually updated and carries a full E.C license. The company has over thirty van salesmen agents delivering in an area stretching across the North, Midlands and North Wales.